Tag Archives: Royal Oak Michigan
Activity/Lesson: Wire Sculpture Activity
Submitted by: Linda Irwin~ Middle School Social Studies Teacher
- I give each student a piece of floral wire. (NOTE: Wire ends can be sharp, so be careful.)
- I ask students to think about their lives.
- Using wire, students create a design that represents them and their lives. (e.g. a musical note~if your musical, a tornado~if you feel at times your life is spinning too fast, a flower~if you feel you are growing and changing etc.)
- I remind students that there are no wrong designs, that we are all unique.
- Once students have created designs, they write/type a five-seven sentence summary, describing why this given design represents them.
I have found this lesson and the student-created designs insightful and have learned a lot about each student through this process. This is a great lesson that builds self-awareness and trust.
All proceeds from the eBook for “All Around our Town” will be donated to St. Mary’s School in Royal Oak, Michigan. This school has a wonderful curriculum plan that incorporates art and reading across the curriculum.
The art teachers exhibits a passion for her craft and enjoys showcasing the many beautiful art projects created by her students. The 7th and 8th graders are so well read in this building, I enjoy stopping in to ask them what they are reading and why. I can not wait to see what wonderful ways this building will utilize our gift.
May we continue to seek knowledge in all things-